Thursday, July 9, 2009

Green and Frugal -- Still Going Strong

While I have some followers who have been with Green and Frugal Living for some time. Some of you may be new.

I was just looking at my list of posts, and it's hard to believe I've created more than 100 posts in just the past six months. I couldn't even remember what my first post was about. So I thought I'd repost it so some of my newer followers could enjoy. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I had any followers went I published this post...

Going Green & Saving Money – All in a Day’s Work

Each day, from start to finish, I’m always thinking about ways I can save money and be green. (I know, I have too much time on my hands.) But think about a typical day and the little things you can do that could go far in the long-run.

  • Make your own coffee.
    Don’t stop at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts on your way into work. Make coffee at home and take it with you in a travel mug. We buy Dunkin Donuts ground coffee (when it's on sale or when we have a coupon) and make it at home. Save money, travel time (and gas), and there’s no disposable cup to throw out.

  • Pack a lunch.
    I've found that buying lunch every day to be a HUGE expense. At $5-$7 per day, 5 days a week -- that's $1,300-$1,800 annually! Now I keep a stash of non-perishable food in a drawer at work, such as cereal, oatmeal and granola bars.

  • Avoid the dry cleaners
    It kills me to have my clothes dry cleaned, since it’s approximately $5 per item. UGH! So now I make sure to only take those items that say “Dry Clean Only” to the cleaners, and I try to get at least three wearings. The other clothes, I wash in cold on gentle, tumble dry low and immediately take out of the dryer and iron. I’ve found it gets the job done…even though I absolutely hate ironing, which is why I originally dry cleaned so many of my clothes! Being lazy is expensive!

Not only will these tips help the environment, they’ll keep more green in your wallet!



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment