Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Frugal Tip Tuesday: How to Embrace Frugal Food Shopping

Food shopping is something everyone has to do. Plus, it's an area where you can easily cut costs with a little work.

I've read numerous articles about the best way to save money food shopping. Each week, I try to incorporate them into my regular outings. But I'm beginning to realize that what makes the most sense is what fits best into your schedule and lifestyle.

Here is what I've learned:

1. Menu Planning
This is an essential step. It requires some dedication and planning, but in the end it's worth it. My husband is the cook of the family, so this step actually makes his life a little easier. It's also helpful to plan ways to reuse leftovers in other meals. We usually only plan our dinners for the week, since lunch is mainly sandwiches.

2. Once-a-Month vs. Once-a-Week Shopping
I have yet to test this theory (stay tuned for future blog posts), but I think you can spend as much shopping weekly as shopping monthly. When either my husband or I shop, we only buy sale items and use coupons whenever possible. We keep an ongoing list of what we need, so the most we hit the grocery store is once a week. This works for us, but I would like to test the monthly shopping trip. In the book "America's Cheapest Family," they swear by monthly shopping trips.

3. Shop Sale Items
Unless your married to a certain brand for a certain item (e.g., you can't bear to not buy Yo-Baby Yogurt), try to buy items that are on sale or generic brands. Many times, they're just as good -- if not better!

4. Use Coupons
The trick here is to only clip coupons for items you normally buy. If you use every single coupon in a flyer, chances are you're not saving money. Many coupons are for new products. Stick to your guns when it comes to your favorite brands and use corresponding coupons -- especially when those items are on sale. You'll save even more!

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment