Here's how it works:
1) Get an empty water bottle.
2) Each time a $5 crosses your path (or wallet), stuff it into the empty water bottle.
3) If you want to really get creative, you could put photos of the things you're saving for on the water bottle as added incentive.
Voila! Instant, inaccessible piggy bank...it's ingenius really. The plan is to get to a point where I can't stuff one more bill into the bottle. At that point, I cut open the water bottle and use the money for whatever I was saving it for in the first place.
Currently, I need several pieces of furniture and other home decor. None of these items are urgently needed, so the $5-in-the-water-bottle system works perfectly. Here what I'm saving for:
- Headboard for our guest bedroom (approx. $200)
- Dining room table & chairs (approx. $1,500)
- Curtains for the dining room (approx. $300)
- Desk for the office ($200)
What are your savings tricks?