Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Green and Frugal...and Missing in Action

Miss me? Okay, did you even notice that I was gone? I've been a bad blogger. I took a week's vacation from work, home and blogging, but it feels good to be back.

I was in Orlando, part of the trip was for business and the second half included my mom and two children. We spent three fun-filled days at Disney's Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Sea World.

I got a great deal on airfare ($144/per person roundtrip) and a two-bedroom condo ($60 per person per night). Since I was traveling on business, the airfare and hotel costs did not apply to me. So for my mom and two kids, it cost approx. $700.

The condo was a timeshare that offered a very reasonable hot buffet breakfast ($6.95 per adult and $3.95 per child over 2). We spent less than $20 on a breakfast for four (my daughter is two years old).

We also found a local Wal-Mark SuperCenter (my new favorite store, by the way). We were able to purchase milk, cereal, snacks, juice for the kids and beer for Mommy and Grammy. ;-) Food-wise, our strategy was to eat breakfast at the condo. Then, we'd have a nice, sit-down lunch in an air-conditioned restaurant where you didn't have to battle for a table and eat fast food. Dinner was either ordered in, or something that could be quickly microwaved (from Wal-Mart, of course).

The real trouble was once we were inside the park. It was a like a spending frenzy. I spent $100+ just in pictures at Sea World ($30 for a photo CD, $45 for a charcoal silhouette of the kids -- for Father's Day -- and $20 for a great pic of my son feeding the dolphins. What can I say, I'm a sucker?)

Wal-Mart also carried a nice selection of Disney souvenirs, much cheaper than anything you'd find inside one of the parks. I was able to get a nice jumbo coffee mug for the hubby and some shirts for the kids.

All in all, every dollar spent and saved was well worth it. We had a fabulous time!

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment