Friday, April 10, 2009

Website Review: GoodGuide.com

According to the site, GoodGuide™ strives to provide the world's largest and most reliable source of information on the health, environmental, and social impacts of products and companies. GoodGuide's mission is to help you find safe, healthy, and green products that are better for you and the planet. From our origins as a UC Berkeley research project, GoodGuide has developed into a totally independent "For-Benefit" company. We are committed to providing the information you need to make better decisions, and to ultimately shifting the balance of information and power in the marketplace.

At first I had time figuring out where to start. Then I saw the box entitled, "What Can I Do With GoodGuide?" That's what I needed! The options were "See GoodGuide Ratings," "Find the Best Products," or "Compare and Save."

I selected See GoodGuide Ratings and was hit by information overload! There is just so much going on! They've evaluated more than 70,000 products. While I like their rating system -- very simple and visual -- it's difficult to process so much information.

It's a great site for figuring out which products are potentially harmful and which are not. You can search by highest and lowest rated. Rated products include personal care, food, household chemicals and toys. Some of the highest rated brands included:
  • Burt's Bees (a personal favorite)
  • Gerber Graduates (toddler foods) (my kids love their products)
  • Tom's of Maine soap
  • Suave shampoo
Overall, I think GoodGuide.com is a much-needed site, considering all of the overwhelming choices on the market today. You can see if how your favorite brands rank, as well as discover new brands. I know that I look forward to trying out Tom's of Maine!

Check out the site and let me know what you think!

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment