Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Book Review: The Duggars: 20 and Counting!

Before I decided to get this book, I had read numerous reviews about it. It got rave reviews. I figured that a family of 20 would definitely have some helpful information when it came to being frugal.

To start, I won't go into detail, but the Duggars made the decision to "let God decide how many children they would have." I understand that they are very religious and that's fine. However, they also pray for everything and they firmly believe that you can somehow get what you want just by praying.

That said, I believe in God and I pray regularly. However, I don't seem to get everything that I pray for (No, I'm not praying for the lottery. Yes, I do pray for thinner thighs.) The other kicker is that, according to the husband, bad things happened when he didn't discuss decisions with his wife and pray. Couldn't this just be a coincidence? My question is: did they ever pray that they wouldn't get pregnant again?

The Duggars also provide some of their favorite recipes throughout the book. First, all of the recipes feed 18 people. I realize that's the size of their family, but most families are in the 4 to 6 range. I don't know about you, but tuna fish in barbeque sauce and pizza using white bread, spaghetti sauce and cheese just aren't my idea of delicacies. Not to mention, if I served either of these, I think my family would boycott my cooking.

The book starts out with how Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar met and progresses through to 2008. It discusses the businesses they've owned, homeschooling, routines and how they try to live debt-free. However, the book never goes into detail about much of anything. I want to know how much these people spend in groceries and how they save money. Do they use coupons? Do any of the kids join them on shopping trips?

For example, after having six children, the Duggars somehow managed to save $65,000 in cash. I'd like to know more about that. But no details were provided. This was a theme throughout the book. From the beginning, the Duggars are buying businesses and making them successful. But at no point do they get into the details of how they made it work.

I was disappointed with book and ended up skimming through much of it. It's more of a biography, than a book on how to save money while raising a big family.





Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about the book. I am like you. I want meat. Tell me how you did it, maybe a why, but a actually plan that I can learn from, gleam or just laugh at would be nice. I homeschool and have over that standard family size of 4 or 6, so I know it just doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the review. I'm now reading "America's Cheapest Family," and hope to have a review next week. I think you'll like this one (as I am). It's loaded with how-to info. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete