Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Garden Update: Let the Planting Begin!

As I mentioned in my post Get a Green Thumb and Save Money, growing your own food is a great way to save money and be eco-friendly. We had a gorgeous weekend in Northern New Jersey, the perfect weather to start planting.

In the post Let's Get This Garden Started Right, I reviewed our game plan regarding how we planned to lay out our garden, what we were going to plant and where we relocated the garden in the yard (a place that gets loads of sunlight).

We bought marigolds to keep rabbits and other rodents at bay; a variety of spices, including basil, rosemary, peppermint and spearmint (they look and smell delicious); as well as green bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes and cucumbers.

Here's what it looks like so far. I love that the flowers look nice and keep creatures away.

My hubby is working on building a gate, spreading the potting soil and putting down some permeable weed blocker fabric. You can see the composter in the back corner. We're still working on getting our first batch. Not sure if there's a way to speed things up. Anyone have any luck with composting? This is our first season trying it.

Stay tuned for more garden updates...

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great! I wish I had that much space... I know that you can speed up compost by doing "hot compost" but I haven't tried. I use a worm compost: http://www.karlasbonanza.com/2009/02/love-shack-aka-worm-compost.html
    I love it! Right on my porch near the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla,

    I'm going to look into the hot compost and the worm compost -- very impressed with your post! I especially love that you have it right on your porch. Our garden and compost bin is in the far corner of our yard (i.e., pain in the butt).

    Keep on composting!

    -Ally J.

    ReplyDelete