Tuesday, June 14, 2011

2011 NYC Marathon -- How I Got In

As you may know, in order to get into the NYC Marathon, you have to enter a lottery and keep your fingers crossed that you get in. It's such a huge race and so many people want to do it, it's the only fair way to handle all of the entries they receive each year. If you don't get picked for three years in a row, you're automatically in the following year. There are also other ways to gain entry, including running a certain number of road races through the New York Road Runners (NYRR) team or raising money for a charity.

I entered the lottery last year and didn't get in, so I entered again this year...and didn't get in. Dismayed by the whole thought of having to wait two more years for guaranteed entry, I made the decision to raise money for a charity. I selected Fred's Team, which raises money to support Memorial Sloan-Kettering. Their goal is to live in a world free of cancer. With so many friends and family members who have either fought against cancer or know someone who has, I felt drawn to this particular charity. So now comes the fun part, raising money. I need to raise $3,500 by November 6th. I'm excited and petrified all as the same time -- sort of how I feel about running my second marathon.

I'll share my training plan and the trials and tribulations of preparing for a marathon and fundraising. I'd love to get your input, too. Have you completed a marathon? Any tips you'd like to share?

I could use your help. Check out my fundraising page. Thanks in advance for your help!

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment