Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book Review: The Cheapskate Next Door

Being a true closet cheapskate, I borrowed this book from the library. LOL! I was looking at the new releases and couldn't help myself.  The back cover of The Cheapskate Next Door described "all-new secrets for how to live happily below your means."

Here is the table of contents:

1 - The Frenology of Frugality
2 - Good Habits are Hard to Break
3 - Money Management, Cheapskate Style
4 - The Oxygen Mask Approach to Raising Kids
5 - Thrift
6 - Clean Your Plate...and Save $1,500 a Year
7 - Come on and Take a FREE Ride
8 - We Can't Retire, We Went Out to Dinner Instead
9 - The Joys of Horse Trading
10 - Break the Mortgage Chains That Bind Thee
11 - Bon Appe-cheap!
12 - Don't Laugh. It Gets Me There...and It's Paid For
13 - Cheapskates Come Out of the Closet
14 - Insurance
15 - Cheapskates Just Wanna Have Fun
16 - Back to the Future?

While The Cheapskate Next Door was a somewhat entertaining read, I didn't feel like I walked away enlightened with all new tips and tricks on how to save money.

I was a bit put off in the opening when author Jeff Yeager described how he completed his book tour by staying on people's couches versus spending money on hotels. Hence, the material for this book. The advice is for hardcore cheapskates, not those who may just dabble.

Would I recommend this book? If you're just starting out on learning how to cut back and save money, I'd say it would be helpful. If you pride yourself on being a cheapskate, I don't think you'll find anything here that you aren't already doing.

Have you already read The Cheapskate Next Door? What did you think?
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment