Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Frugal Tip Tuesday -- Sell Your Gold


I'm sure you've heard all over the news that the price of gold is at an all-time high -- more than $1,100 per ounce depending upon the day. With the New Year in full swing, I've been doing a lot of cleaning and decluttering. I recently hit my jewelry box, which included many pieces of gold jewelry from ex-boyfriends. My husband also had a number of rings from his grandfather -- none of which he planned to permanently add to his daily attire.

So I had more than a dozen earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings floating around my purse. I finally found some time today to go to the local jewelry store, where I saw that they buy gold and diamonds. They did a variety of tests to figure out what was 10K, 14K, 18K, silver, platinum and gold filled. I didn't think much of it and would've been happy with a few hundred dollars. I ended up walking away with $735!!! I couldn't believe it!!

So there's your tip of the week -- clean out that gold jewelry and you may be pleasantly surprised with a windfall.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. YAY! That's wonderful. I did the same thing...when money got tight this holiday season, I decided to clean out and cash in. And boy did I. You don't realize how quickly your gold will add up with today's high price of gold. I'm so glad I did.
    And I'm glad I did my research on which company to send it to since I read about so many unhappy people because of all the scamming companies out there now. I found the Silver And Gold Exchang and was very pleaseed with them. They were upfront on their price, great customer service and lightning fast in payment. I would recommend them. http://SilverAndGoldExchange.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arielle,

    That's great! I just love those unexpected windfalls (they're so far and few between). And you're right. There are a lot of scams out there when it comes to gold, so finding a reputable dealer is key.

    Thanks,
    Ally J.

    ReplyDelete